Democracy Has Prevailed.

March 10, 2008

Bad Water, KBR and the Troops

I know, I know.

Why can't I talk about any of the good stuff that KBR has done and continues to do in Iraq?

Why only point to the news about the:

Dozens of U.S. troops in Iraq fell sick at bases using "unmonitored and potentially unsafe" water supplied by the military and a contractor once owned by Vice President Dick Cheney's former company, the Pentagon's internal watchdog says.

A report obtained by The Associated Press said soldiers experienced skin abscesses, cellulitis, skin infections, diarrhea and other illnesses after using discolored, smelly water for personal hygiene and laundry at five U.S. military sites in Iraq.

The Defense Department's inspector general's report, which could be released as early as Monday, found water quality problems between March 2004 and February 2006 at three sites run by contractor KBR Inc., and between January 2004 and December 2006 at two military-operated locations.

It was impossible to link the dirty water definitively to all the illnesses, according to the report. But it said KBR's water quality "was not maintained in accordance with field water sanitary standards" and the military-run sites "were not performing all required quality control tests."

I am sure there were many many times when KBR didn't poison the troops with dirty water, many many troops who didn't experience problems because of KBR's dirty water, and many many required quality control tests that KBR didn't fail to perform on the dirty water they supplied.

I'm just being unfair, I know.

Saddam was a bad man. His regime was vicious and he killed alot of people. So complaining about how KBR didn't adequately supply our troops with clean water is just plain unfair.

Unfair.

2 comments:

Jared McLaughlin said...

Dozens of troops? We have quite a few people over there, so I'm getting the indication that we're not talking about a huge percentage of the total force.

The only thing that made me ill over there was the local food. I showed respect and ate what was offered to me by my very gracious host, but afterwards paid the price. Can't say my shower water ever made me ill, but then... I didn't always use "KBR" water.

It's a combat zone. If your shower getting you sick is your big concern, you're doing pretty good.

Anonymous said...

It's a combat zone. If the people being paid hundreds of millions of dollars to provide potable water can't do the job . . . you might be in Iraq, and the guys supplying the water might be tight with the Bush administration. Our troops (and a countryful of Iraqis) deserve better.

I liked Republicans much better when they considered competence a virtue.