Democracy Has Prevailed.

August 11, 2005

Q. Can't we all just get along?
A. No.

The Conversation features what it calls a "money quote" from Eric Alterman on the topic of abortion:

Abortion is probably necessary in a society that (purposely) does such a bad job of educating its youth about sex and does not give a s**t about poor kids once they've been born. But for most people it's a personal tragedy. To celebrate it as a “right” is a big mistake, given what an unhappy experience it is for all concerned. What's more, a lot of people think it's murder and their religion tells them this is true. Why can’t we respectfully disagree? How does that diminish anyone? Grow up, everybody.
I commented on it as follows:

Oh man, what a child some of us have been. I've seen the light.

I now promise never to force Eric Alterman (or anyone else) to have an abortion. Furthermore, I promise never to support a politician who would force Eric Alterman (or anyone else) to have an abortion. I hope Eric will do likewise and never deny me (or anyone else) the choice to have an abortion and never support a politician who would deny me (or anyone else) the choice to have an abortion.

There. I guess that settles that. :-D
We can't "all just get along" when some want to take away the RIGHT for women to have control over their own bodies.

We can't "all just get along" when some don't think it's a big deal that there are people trying to take away the RIGHT for women to have control over their own bodies.

Sorry! Just too big a RIGHT to let go...to give away...to let slip away.

There is nothing "respectful" about trying to take away a RIGHT. "Respectfully disagreeing" with someone who wants to take away your RIGHTS will get you no RIGHTS.

I won't give an inch when you're trying to take a mile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the right to defend one's life with equal force from those who would end it?

Maria said...

Because you choose to post anonymously I am tempted to answer with something snarky like:

"Cool, I will defend the fetus's right to defend itself -- bring it on, fetus!"

But that will just get me yelled at by EVERYONE.

So, let me answer you "respectfully":

You and I will never agree on this because you believe that even a blastocyst (a liquid-filled sphere whose wall is composed of a single layer of cells) has the full rights and protection as a woman and I do not.