Democracy Has Prevailed.

April 30, 2007

Never saw one of these before!

A week ago or so, I received something in the mail that I've never seen before lo these many years that I've been on this planet:

A check from a politician.

I had read that Bill Peduto said he would be returning unused funds from his abruptly ended mayoral campaign but I guess I thought that since I had donated fairly early that I wouldn't receive any refund. But, there it was, a check for $32.00 from People for Peduto along with an explanation of how the monies were distributed.

Nice!

3 comments:

Mark Rauterkus said...

You've seen these -- often -- in the past. Generally, the check is written from funds that you've given in the past.

Ever see a big cardboard check going to a little league or to other organizations?

Ever see a pay check from a 'firefighter' in the past? Murphy gave money to them too.

There were "homestead checks" and even IRS refunds. The examples are too long to list.

They (politicians) have an easy time of giving away your money. Often it comes back to you at a much worse return than what you paid.

Such is the case with Bill Peduto's refund.

Char said...

Come on, Mark, be fair. A stupid Rendell giant photo-op cardboard check which just takes tax money from one person's pocket and puts it in another's is way way different from Peduto giving back campaign donations because he aborted his campaign. That's what the check was for. And I don't think I've EVER heard of anyone doing that before.

Anonymous said...

God bless you Char, for your gracious response.

Mark's email totally ignores the obvious:

Money Peduto returned was given to him, for his campaign, by people of their own free will. And I'll add my voice to the chorus - I too have NEVER heard of a candidate returning campaign funds to contributors.

All other Rauterkus examples involve funds people did not give willingly, ie. taxes.

Mark we're well aware of the pandering electeds do with our tax dollars - and we're not confused about the significance and difference in what Peduto did. Maybe you need to get some rest?