Democracy Has Prevailed.

September 27, 2007

Verizon Gags NARAL

From The New York Times:

Saying it had the right to block “controversial or unsavory” text messages, Verizon Wireless has rejected a request from Naral Pro-Choice America, the abortion rights group, to make Verizon’s mobile network available for a text-message program.
Well, isn't that special!

Maybe Verizon isn't the company you want to choose for your own text messaging as they might object to something you write.

Bunch of wankers.

And, isn't it ironic that the text message from NARAL was about a gag rule?

Naral provided an example of a recent text message that it has sent to supporters: “End Bush’s global gag rule against birth control for world’s poorest women! Call Congress. (202) 224-3121. Thnx! Naral Text4Choice.”
The article goes on to talk about how texting has become "an extraordinarily effective political tool."

Unfortunately Verizon seems to have a problem with political free speech and the First Amendment.

If you have a problem with that, maybe you'd want to contact Verizon:

Verizon Communications
Corporate Headquarters
140 West Street
New York, NY 10007

Telephone: 800-621-9900 WAIT! See below***
And, speaking of Verizon’s propensity to gag (and their all around sucky service), if you recall I've blogged previously about my problems with their DSL service and now my main phone line is completely dead (as of yesterday morning or possibly the night before). So if anyone has been trying to call me (and getting a busy signal), you'll need to email me as they can't send anyone out here until tomorrow.

Bunch of wankers.
.

*** So before I hit "Publish Post" I decided I should call Verizon first. The operator at corporate headquarters directed my call to Verizon Landline (800-483-7988) who couldn't take my complaint because it was a "wireless" issue. They gave me the number for Verizon Wireless (800-922-0204).

Verizon Wireless couldn't answer to my complaint so I asked for a corporate complaint line as I'm not trying to complain about wireless service as I don't have wireless service.

Wireless told me that I could go online to complain by going to www.verizonwireless.com and looking for "Executive Relations." I said how ironic it was that a PHONE company did not have a corporate PHONE complaint line, but he didn't much react to that.

I decided instead to go back to their main corporate number (800-621-9900) and explain again to the operator what I was trying to complain about. When she said that they had no PHONE line to speak to someone to complain to about corporate policies. I used my irony line with her and she connected me to someone she claims to be the assistant to the CEO of Verizon (Ivan Seidenberg). So, Judy A. Mitchell, on the off chance that you are Seidenberg's assistant, or whoever you are, that's how I got your voicemail and left my complaint.

A PHONE company with no PHONE complaint line. Again, bunch of wankers.


UPDATE: Fast moving story! "Verizon Reverses Itself on Abortion Messages" HA!

UPDATE 2: A reminder that Verizon shouldn't have been allowed to gag anyone in the first place:

SUPPORT NET NEUTRALITY!

.

1 comment:

Richmond K. Turner said...

Oh thank you, thank you, Maria! After living in England and Australia, I've long lamented the fact that American English fails to use the term "wanker" on any regular basis. It is truely the finest description of certain types of people, and it captures nuances that standard American English simply cannot convey through the use of other words.

It's about time that "wanker" finds a home on our shores. I thought I was the only one who used it on a regular basis, and I'm proud to know that I share your company on this one.