Democracy Has Prevailed.

March 15, 2010

Blog For Equality.

A couple of years ago, I snarked:
I am just so grateful to the Pennsylvania legislature for acting to protect the institution of marriage from those despicable homosexual hordes. I mean if my gay friend Sue - and don't get me wrong, I don't hate teh gays, some of my best friends are gay - but if she were allowed to marry her partner it would disturb my life in many many many frightening ways. Ways I can not now imagine without some horrific soul-crushing shudder.
But it seems that the reason for that blog for equality day is back. This is the text a few in our illustrious State Senate want to add as an amendment to the Pennsylvania Constitution:
Only a union of one man and one woman shall be valid and recognized as a marriage in this Commonwealth.
Other sections of the Declarations of Rights revolve around guaranteeing the rights of Pennsylvanians or otherwise limiting the power of the state.

Like the first one:
Section 1
All men are born equally free and independent, and have certain inherent and indefeasible rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing and protecting property and reputation, and of pursuing their own happiness.
Or the last one:
Section 28
Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania because of the sex of the individual.
So how does defining marriage in such a way that it limits the rights of gay Pennsylvanians fit into the spirit of the first or last section?


Every Pennsylvanian deserves to be treated like every other Pennsylvanian. That includes the right to marry.


It's only fair.

No comments: