Democracy Has Prevailed.

March 16, 2022

Admiral Rachel Levine

This is Admiral Rachel Levine:

She is a pediatrician. She's a graduate of Harvard College and Tulane University School of Medicine. She's the 17th Assistant Secretary for Health for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. She's a four-star Admiral in the Commissioned Corps of the US Public Health Service. She's the first openly-transgender federal official to be confirmed by the Senate.

And she's been named one of USAToday's Women of the Year:

Levine is the U.S. assistant secretary for health for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and the head of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps., where she leads a group of 6,000 uniformed public health officers.

In normal times, her job is essential. During a pandemic, it's crucial.

"I really feel that everything I've ever done, whether it was in academic medicine, in education, in clinical research, seeing my patients in my role in public health, in Pennsylvania and now my role nationally," Levine sad, "has all led to this moment in terms of helping the nation through this greatest public health crisis that we have faced in over a hundred years."

Why did I post this?

This is why.

This is why.

Today, instead of writing about Wendy Bell or Doug Mastriano, I chose to write about a much better human being: Admiral Rachel Levine.

Note: I stole that last line from Lisa Cunningham of the CP. Read Jordana Rosenfeld's CP profile of Dr Levine here.