Democracy Has Prevailed.

July 3, 2018

My SIXTY-EIGHTH Open Letter To Senator Pat Toomey

I'll be dropping this letter to Senator Pat Toomey in the mail today:
Dear Senator Toomey:

It's me, again - the constituent who writes for the local Pittsburgh-based political blog, "2 Political Junkies."

Senator, now that Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy has resigned (this coincidentally, happening only one day before it was reported that Kennedy's son had arranged for Donald Trump to get $1 billion in loans from Deutsche Bank, his employer), I'd like to ask you about the next step in Trump's Supreme Court appointment process.

Here it is: Given that Trump is the subject of an FBI investigation into any links between the Russian government and his campaign and any matters connected to that (which would, I assume, include any potential obstruction of justice), do you think it wise for him to be able to appoint anyone to the Supreme Court until this investigation has concluded? Any by that I mean, as part of the ongoing investigation legal questions will inevitably arise (Can a sitting president be subpoenaed? indicted? If he can't be for federal crimes, can he be subpoenaed/indicted for state crimes?) that will need to be answered by the Supreme Court. How is it not a conflict of interest for Trump to, in effect, pick one of his own judges? What if the person he picks just happens to be the swing vote in his favor?

Wouldn't it be better for the country to wait? You were perfectly OK with waiting a year or so to fill Antonin Scalia's seat, so a gap in time should not be an issue for you, true?

Thank you and I await your response.
And I will be posting whatever response I get from him or his office.

Follow-up:

No comments: