Democracy Has Prevailed.

December 22, 2018

Senator Toomey RESPONDS To Another Letter

Though as you'll see, he can't be bothered to actually answer my question.

In the mail this past week, I received a letter from Senator Toomey (or perhaps more precisely his office). It's dated November 29.

And it begins thusly:
Thank you for contacting me regarding First Amendment protections for free speech. I appreciate hearing from you.
As it's dated November 29, we can dispense with any of my letters written after that date.

So when did I mention any aspect of the First Amendment before November 29?

On November 20, I wrote a letter that contained this passage:
This week, Donald Trump launched an attack on a retired Navy Admiral (and former Navy SEAL) who questioned him on his charge that the press is the enemy of the people.
On October 30, I wrote a letter that contained this:
Donald Trump continues to call the press "the enemy of the people." This, even after one of his most fervent supporters, sent a pipe bomb to CNN.

I've asked you this before, Senator, but let me ask you again.

Is the press (and let's all remember that the press is constitutionally protected) really "the enemy of the people" like he says?
Wait, I asked this before???

Why yes, I have. Take a look at this.

Last January 6, I wrote a blog post about a letter I received from Toomey's office. That letter began with:
Thank you for contacting me regarding First Amendment protections for free speech. I appreciate hearing from you.
Looks familiar, doesn't it?  As far as I can tell, he was answering this letter from November 28, 2017 (a little more than a year ago).

In the November 2017 blog post I asked the senator if he agreed with Donald Trump's attack on the free press and he responded with some bland defense of First Amendment free speech protections.

Looks like it's one year later and Senator Toomey did it again - this time responding to multiple letters.

He failed to answer my question.

And in doing so complicit in Trump's attacks on the press.

No comments: