Democracy Has Prevailed.

October 23, 2004

Sinclair Chokes -- Freepers Pissed!

Yes, I watched Sinclair's "news special" (nothing really new or special). I watched it for the same reason that I watch FOX News: Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

While overall I'd say it was more anti-Kerry than pro, it was in no way the total smear job that I had expected. They even showed a good 10 minutes from the pro-Kerry "Going Upriver" documentary and they had on people who disputed the lies in "Stolen Honor." Specifically, the pro-Kerry speakers made clear that Kerry was only recounting what others had testified to at the Winter Soldiers Hearings and that there is no proof that any of the witnesses at that hearing were not actual Vietnam Veterans.

There's an excellent synopsis of the program on daily KOS:
http://www.dailykos.com/comments/2004/10/22/21187/159/19#19

And you can find angry Freepers upset that the show had balance here:http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1253998/posts

I will add two thoughts to the comments found at the above links:

1. My God, the show had cheesy production values! Bad cable access time!

2. I either forgot to pay attention to the commercial breaks until halfway through or they didn't have many in the first half hour, but in the two commercial breaks in the last half hour, there was only one commercial from an outside sponsor( http://www.consumerfreedom.com/ -- a conservative group). All the ads I saw were basically station IDs/promoting the local channel's lineup. Even after the program had ended, there was no commercial -- it went directly to the next program.

Looks like no major sponsor would be caught dead advertising on this
show.

In other words: WE WON.

No comments: