Democracy Has Prevailed.

December 9, 2005

This is not about politics

I get the New York Times headlines emailed to me daily which also means that I get the New York Style section emailed to me weekly so I can know what I should be wearing and cannot afford to be wearing. Last week's What to Wear section advised us all that we need to "Dress Like Your Dad? He Rocks". (For the record my dad's record collection did not rock. It was heavy on John Philip Sousa marches and The Four Lads, a group who wouldn't know rock if one hit them on the head, though The Residents did a suitably bizarre takeoff on TFL's "Istanbul" called "Constantinople" that I'm sure must have driven my father up a wall, but I digress... )

Anyway, according to The Paper of Record:

In the last year or two, the trappings of rock's raucous era have acquired a mass appeal, recycled or reinvented for a candidly nostalgic age.
But the tales of boho mother/daughter shopping trips for overpriced remade/remodeled Rolling Stone logo T-shirts didn't get to me as much as this bit at the end of the article:

Nor will the sight of a baby boomer tricked out in leather and flares raise many eyebrows, Mr. Padilla added. "In the 60's, if you had a record executive walking around in a Sonic Youth T-shirt, you would have thought he was out of his mind.

"But today it's O.K. for a 50-year-old to wear a Sonic shirt, because everybody in Sonic Youth is 50 years old."
Actually, in the 60's, if you had a record executive walking around in a Sonic Youth T-shirt, no one would have known who the fuck Sonic Youth were: that band formed in 1981. (And for the record, only one of them is 50+.)

But I'll take the Time's word on it that I got to get me some of those T's.

No comments: