Democracy Has Prevailed.

June 12, 2007

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl Explains Himself

On Fred Honsberger's show. The clip can be heard here.

Fred Honsberger: It was the lead story on the KDKA TV Six O'Clock news last night and it certainly has dominated the talk shows today, Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, the story goes, crashing a private party out at Oakmont in April, April 23rd . An American Express Party. The Mayor joins us right now. Mayor Ravenstahl, welcome to KDKA radio.

Luke Ravenstahl (on phone): Thanks Fred.

FH: That's good. Now you've heard the story. Lot of talk about it. Lot of people defending you, lot of people saying “I was a little embarrassed when I heard it” First let me ask you, Is the Jon Delano story accurate?

LR: The Jon Delano story is inaccurate simply because I didn't force my way anywhere. I was at Oakmont on April 23rd. I did meet Tiger Woods. But his suggestion that I was asked to leave and not welcome is inaccurate and I really think that's the unfortunate part of the story and I'm not sure where it came from. Because Jon didn't identify his quote unquote source. But it's been an interesting day in many ways. And I'm not really sure where it came from.

FH: Mayor, did your staff call and try to get in on this party ahead of time and was your staff told “it's a private party” and you couldn't go?

LR: No, in fact, I called myself and spoke with an individual from Oakmont, from the USGA early that morning and he said he would check into it and get back to me. And I never had the opportunity to speak with him, but we were never told, at all, that we were not welcome on the grounds. And in fact when we got here, I was invited in and sat down, had lunch and was given a shirt was given a badge. And really, you know, welcomed by the people at Oakmont. So again I'm not real sure where the story generated, or was generated from. And you know again thats...it was a good day that day and I enjoyed myself. I got a chance to meet Tiger and I'm not sure where Jon's getting his information.

FH: Were you told, Mayor, that if you went out on the course that there'd be no pictures and no autographs with Tiger?

LR: No I was told that Tiger would not sign autographs. And [not to] approach him and I didn't, in fact. I was introduced to him by Mike Tirico who is an ESPN Anchor, who was on the course that day. And he suggested that I meet Tiger. Reluctantly at first, I said I didn't want to cause any trouble because he was golfing. And he insisted that Tiger would be OK with it, so he approached Tiger on my behalf to introduce me. So you know again the story has taken on a – taken turns and become its own story, I guess in and of itself.

FH: I guess the question is, why didn't you tell this to Jon when Jon asked for a comment?

LR: He didn't. In fact he was – I mean to think that this was April 23rd, what's the date today? June 10th, 11th or 12th . I'm losing track of my dates but we're looking at almost two months. And was never asked a question about it, was never approached on it. He called yesterday afternoon. I was unavailable. He didn't-

FH: We know. We know you were unavailable (ha-ha!).

LR: Yea, exactly right and I apologize for that. But he didn't identify – apparently he was going to do a story on the billboards and how we're promoting the city etc for the US Open and never - until almost four-thirty yesterday called and asked my spokesperson about the Tiger Woods day. And obviously you know an hour and a half before the story aired. I mean to have two months to ask me a question and not ask it, I think that speaks in and of itself – the motive of the story and if he was sincere in trying to get the accurate story, he would have certainly approached me in a different way.

FH: I mean the interesting thing was your office issued a statement yesterday saying, look it's always been your life long dream, you being the Mayor, to meet Tiger Woods and people ought to be satisfied that you had the persistence to do it.

LR: Well again, I think my staff was just responding to the question that was asked and quite honestly they were caught off guard by the question. And again it was a life long dream of mine. It certainly was and it was a great opportunity. And you know Fred, I think you know me pretty well. I'm not a pushy guy. I'm somebody that's going to – if somebody would have told me at Oakmont I wasn't welcome or not to come in I would have turned around and left. I mean they – when I walked in literally they invited me to sit down and have lunch. I think that shows you right there that I was welcome and stand by what I did that day and enjoyed myself.

FH: So the bottom line is, number one your staff didn't make the call you made the call personally.

LR: Well yea, I know my staff had made phone calls that morning, but I personally made a call myself as well.

FH: No one was told that you shouldn't show up – that it was invitation only.

LR: No I was – no not at all.

FH: And when you got out there no one said it was a private party and you were not welcome.

LR: No I mean I was certainly told that it was an American Express party and it was for their patrons and not to approach Tiger and not to ask him for an autograph and not to impose myself on the party and I didn't do that. So that was all. That was all that was suggested. I was invited to walk on the course. Which I did. So this notion that I stole a shirt or snuck in or all the garbage that's being used is just – you know it's so funny. I can't wait to see Jon I'll show him the shirt I have. I'll show him the badge that they gave me. The walk. I mean I have all the stuff at home. And I saved it. So I just don't know where the story came from.

FH: ESPN's Mike Tirico intervened and he was your intermediary. He was the guy that introduced you to Tiger.

LR: Exactly right, it was on the 12th hole and I introduced myself to Mike and he is actually a political junkie so to speak and we talked politics about a hole and a half. He knew the story of Mayor O'Connor passing away and me being the youngest mayor. We really hit it off and then he suggested that I meet Tiger and he introduced me to him so. That's how it all transpired and you know again I wish I had the opportunity to tell the story before Jon told his version of it. Again not sure where he got it, but it's – I guess it's – and the frustrating thing for me, I had time and in fact I'm at Oakmont today and I'll be on the golf channel tonight and people will be, Hey what'd you do, break in and you know ruin Tiger's party and this and that. It's just – you know it's the furthest thing from the truth. It's not me, not something I'd ever do. To be portrayed in that way is something that's really frustrated me today. But hey, that's the nature of what we do in politics and [unintelligible]

FH: Our new guy Kevin Miller is being pretty critical you hanging out at Oakmont. Saying you should be doing your job but being the ambassador [unintelligible]

LR: Well let me let me respond to that. I was – I certainly did my job today and I've been awake since 2:30 this morning, I was at the fire all morning and spent all day today dealing with those issues. In fact will – there's a press conference at 5. I got the phone numbers for the family so make no mistake I'm certainly doing my job and I think part of my job is, quite honestly, in addition to the work done today with the fire victims is to promote the city and to talk about this opportunity we have here in Pittsburgh and that's what I'm trying to do this week.

FH: How important is the US Open to the city – marketing the city?

LR: I think it's important. I think it's a chance for us – as we'll see this week – to talk about Pittsburgh to have a venue like Oakmont that is an attraction for people to come to - really nationwide. And I think, you know, just like the All-Star game last year, this is a big time event. It's the Super Bowl of golf and golf fans throughout the world will be tuned into Pittsburgh this weekend. And like I said I think it's a great opportunity once again for us to continue to talk about all the wonderful things we have here in Pittsburgh.

FH: Not that you have a tough race in November, but some are saying Hey you got these billboards, your name's everywhere – you're just doing it to get yourself some publicity for the election.

LR: You know, again we did a “Welcome to America's most livable city” billboard with the skyline. You know my name is at the bottom of the billboard. No different than is done in many other cities. I was criticized early on for the same billboard that Mayor O'Connor had up with his face. I simply subbed mine up for the Redd Up campaign. So you know I understand that folks will say that but it's not intentional that's why my face wasn't on this board, this billboard. To try to deflect that criticism because it isn't about me. It never was about me and for some to portray that it was is why we decided against the face on the billboard this time and I just wish we could talk about the serious issues in the city but--

FH: I want to be a peace maker. I want to be an intermediary here. Just like Mike Tirico was with you and Tiger Woods. I want to be an intermediary with you and Kevin Miller. Kevin wants you on his program so badly – not to talk about the Open, but to talk about some of these tough questions. Would you go on with him?

LR: Yea, I'd be happy to. I'd be happy to go on with Kevin if he would have – if has called my press secretary. I'm not sure. I know he's quote unquote called me out on the radio which is one thing. But I'd be happy to, I'd be happy to go on and talk to him.

FH: When tough things come out you don't hide. You haven't. I'm glad we got your side of the story. It now has now become a he-said she-said. Who believes who? People will have to make up their own minds, I guess.

LR: Yea, and I would argue even if Jon's story was accurate which it wasn't, that's not news anyway, I mean. To me it's not and – but hey it is what it is. Channel 2 KDKA decided to run the story. And I just wish that before a story is run the source is identified. And the fact that that wasn't done should show everybody that there's no source to the story. I could tell a story – my sources say Fred Honsberger did this or Jon Delano did that. How much credibility does that story have? Not much in my eyes if there's no source there backing up what had happened. So – again it is what it is. Move on and hopefully put this behind us because it's – again we lost five children today in a fire. You know the serious issues of the city are first and unfortunately it's been overshadowed somewhat by discussion about something that as far as I'm concerned has nothing to do with my business as Mayor of the city of Pittsburgh.

FH: Mayor, thanks. I appreciate it.

LR: You got it Fred. Thank you.

FH: Thanks for hearing your story. Mayor Luke Ravenstahl. Now you got to make up your mind who do you believe. Jon Delano or the Mayor? The good news, the Mayor says he'll go on with Kevin Miller. It's Honzman News Radio 1020 KDKA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, you know, you know, I say "you know" more than 50 Cent. Also, I'd like to move this discussion forward and talk about dead children. You shouldn't listen to this story anymore for 2 reasons: A. There are dead children, and 2. Anonymous sources, though a mainstay of our system (Watergate, anyone?) mean nothing. This story is completely made up. In fact, I just said it's completely made up, so I guess I'll sue for slander...