Democracy Has Prevailed.

July 16, 2007

Jury Duty

I'm on it.

More specifically: I'm an alternate juror in a criminal court case.

That's as specific as I can get for now, of course.

And, yes, I believe it's my civic duty to serve, but this is my third time (all three in the criminal division) and I don't know any friends or family members who have served even once.

Did I mention that I got sequestered the last time I served?

About half the jury pool raised their hands when asked if they had ever served before.

Random selection my ass.

6 comments:

McArdle said...

I have been called for jury duty, and have always given detailed and complex answers to the questions that the attorneys ask in the preliminary screening. I have never been asked to stay beyond that phase. Maybe they worry that I will be a little too "12 Angry Men"ish in the jury room.

Anonymous said...

While I lived in Allegheny County I also served three times. I moved to Westmoreland Cty 2001. I got called to jury duty in 2003. I'm expecting another postcard anytime now.

Anonymous said...

I have been registered to vote for over 5 years now & have never been chosen to even go down.

Richmond K. Turner said...

Been here since 1999, registered to vote the entire time, never received a single postcard from the courts for any kind of jury duty. Of course, I'm not so sure just how useful a dead admiral would be on a jury...

Dayvoe said...

Ugh!

I've been in Pittsburgh for 16 years and I've been called ONCE.

Anonymous said...

I've lived here over twenty years and have NEVER been called, and I'm on every list in town . . . go figure.