Democracy Has Prevailed.

August 12, 2008

Top Ten Best Songs

Now we know each candidate's Top Ten list for favorite song, Maria and I decided to post our own Top Ten. Here's mine. Maria's will follow.

In no particular order, here they are:
  • Across The Universe - Or most anything by The Beatles
  • So What - or anything from Kind of Blue. Truly a subversive piece. No V-I harmonies to speak of. Just a bridge that's a half-step above tonic. Miles was a genius.
  • Pleasant Valley Sunday - Yes, they were prefabricated. But the subtle satire on the blandness of mid-60s suburbia is heads above the bubblegum pop of the time.
  • A Night in Tunisia - Diz. No need to say anything more.
  • Tempted - Squeeze. From when I was in college.
  • Radio Radio - I want to bite the hand that feeds me. I want to bite that hand so badly.
  • I Can't Get Started - Bunny Berrigan. Listen to the words. Trumpet playing's pretty good, too.
  • Concerto For Cootie - I have a degree in trumpet performance and I have no idea how Cootie Williams did what he did. No frickin idea.
  • You Send Me - Sam Cooke. How smooth can that voice get?
  • She's Leaving Home - Bernstein was right. This song is as good as anything written by Schubert or Schumann.
Of course, subject to change at any moment.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No Freebird?!?

Seriously, though, the Beatles are a natural. But nothing from London Calling? Also, while I know squat about Jazz I know the Kind of Blue is the kind of album the the term "knocked over by a feather" is about.

loriek said...

I wonder if anyone knows the lyrics that were written later to go with Concerto for Cutie?

lorik

cathcatz said...

sadly, i admit to being only familiar with two of those songs. generation gap??

my favorite songs tend to be from u2 (i will follow), genesis (in the air tonight), queen, (fat bottom girls), the smiths (unhappy birthday), the cure, (why can't i be you?)

and from this era, somehow i've made the switch to country.

hmm.

i can't explain it either.

Justin said...

Dayvoe, nice list. Including jazz gets props from me--I finished a trombone degree in '04.

Do you still play at all, or has moving on from college life all but ended that pastime for you?

Justin said...

Dayvoe, nice list. Including jazz gets props from me--I finished a trombone degree in '04.

Do you still play at all, or has moving on from college life all but ended that pastime for you?

Justin said...

Ah crap. WTB comment editing, PST. :(

Dayvoe said...

I still have all my horns (a Bach B-flat, Bach C, a Yamaha D/E-flat and a Getzen piccolo), but I haven't played in years.

Once I get settled comfortably in married life, I plan on getting my chops back in shape, though.

Bob said...

I am sick to my stomach when anyone insists upon reminding of the Beatles. A few popular songs, an asshole singer, and a suspicious murder, and going on 30 years later and people still think thier music is good.
It's as bad as Elvis worshipers.
====
Dayvoe, you'll only get comfortable in married life as long as she, I mean your spouse, brings home the paychecks.

Justin said...

Once I get settled comfortably in married life, I plan on getting my chops back in shape, though.

Make sure you marry a musician, then. They're the only ones who'll really understand why it's something you have to do.