Democracy Has Prevailed.

January 22, 2010

Blog for Choice Day


Today is the anniversary of Roe v. Wade and for the last five years it's also Blog for Choice Day.

The topic this year is: What does Trust Women mean to you?

As always, I will slightly paraphrase what I've written on this day in years past.

My answer?

"Trust Women" means trusting a woman to have the right to control her own body -- and that necessarily must include anything that may going on inside it.

Simple, no?

Yeah, it gets messy if there's a fetus in there, and more messy the older that fetus is.

But you either get to control your body or you don't.

And women and girls face an opposition who believes that a mass of cells smaller then the head of a pin has not just equal rights, but more rights, than the woman or girl herself. An opposition who believes that a woman should not be trusted with the control of her own body -- that only the State or a religion -- or anyone but the woman gets that trust.

I will never understand that.

I will also never believe that a man would put up with everyone and his uncle trying to micromanage his body.

So I trust women to control their own bodies and that makes me pro choice.

Period.

No comments: