The Obama administration Friday abandoned plans to try 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in Manhattan, following objections from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a senior administration official said. He will be tried domestically, but officials have not decided where. Options for the trial include a military base..
"It's dead," a source said.
The dramatic shift from the administration’s plan to hold trials for Mohammed and four other accused terrorists being held at Guantanamo Bay in the metaphoric shadow of the World Trade Center came after Bloomberg, an independent who had been a vocal advocate of holding the trials in Manhattan, reversed his position on Wednesday.
The trials would have to move to a federal courthouse, military base or other site in a state where crimes related to the 9/11 attacks were committed, with likely options including White Plains in the Southern District of New York, Newport News or Alexandria in the Eastern District of Virginia, or a venue in the Western District of Pennsylvania. Administration officials told the New York Times Thursday that any decision on an alternate site would be left to the Justice Department. [Emphasis added]
January 29, 2010
NYC Terror Trials Moved To Western PA?
Posted by Maria