(Click to enlarge)
First, I will preface my remarks by noting that, yes, everyone deserves a lawyer in a criminal trial and that attorneys have the right to advertise. But looking at this ad, I guess we have to be grateful that they didn't just throw up a photograph of a bloody, fatal car crash with the tag line: "Caused this? We'll get you off!" Their ad is only slightly less offensive -- and it offends on multiple levels.
I'm going to ignore the headline for a moment and go straight to the boxed-in "joke." Sorry, I find nothing funny about:
In the ad, Rosselli & Horowitz self-identify as "The South Side's DUI and Criminal Defense Law Firm."
1) Someone driving so drunk that they're "weaving violently"
2) Making the joke about drunk driving specific to both an actual upcoming event and to a real area known to have a problem with too many bars and over consumption of alcohol
3) Thinking it's funny that a woman falls out of a moving car
4) The sexist implication that women never shut up
5) And, yeah, making the joke about some idiot from the burbs driving home drunk from the city specific to a street a mere two blocks from my home
Yes, it a law firm which specializes in DUI cases making a joke about people driving drunk.
You know what can happen on Carson Street when some asshole drives drunk? A seven-year old can get killed and her mother can have the lower half of her body pulverized ("In addition to broken ribs, vertebrae, toes and an ankle, a doctor said, pieces of her hip and pelvis are simply missing." Oh, yeah, she also miscarried.) This happened just three months before this ad was placed. In fact, according to a recent WPXI story, Carson Street had the highest DUI arrests in our area: 218 in 2009. It also had one of the highest amounts of alcohol-related crashes: 152 wrecks involving alcohol in the last five years.
Funny, huh? A real LOL!
Now, back to the headline. "LOOKING FOR A LAW FIRM WITH TIGER BLOOD?" So, you're comparing your law firm to an obviously troubled person just out of "rehab" for alcohol and drugs, who recently lost their job and is universally ridiculed?! From your lips to God's ears, baby.