Democracy Has Prevailed.

June 24, 2011

Same-Sex Marriage Passes In New York State

The New York State Senate passed a marriage equality bill 33-29 tonight. The New York Assembly passed the bill today by a vote of 82-47. Gov. Andrew Cuomo has already promised to sign the bill into law. It's worth noting that the Senate is Republican controlled. One of the best quotes during the weeks leading up to the vote came from Republican Senator Roy McDonald:
You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn’t black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing. You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don’t care what you think. I’m trying to do the right thing. I’m tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I’m trying to do the right thing, and that’s where I’m going with this.
Thanks to everyone who did the right thing!
.

1 comment:

Bram Reichbaum said...

Quote, nuthin'. According to the link you provide, he wrote that little bombing raid into a press release.

I don't want to jinx anything, but today marks an inflection point for a heck of a lot more than the issue at hand methinks. Politics is changing. Dogma is out, division may not be far behind.