Democracy Has Prevailed.

June 15, 2012

Vagina. (Part II)



First, above is the video of Michigan State House Rep. Lisa Brown (D) saying on the House floor -- get out the smelling salts and the fainting couch -- "I'm flattered you're all so interested in my vagina. But no means no." which Dayvoe blogged about here. She was speaking about MI's new ridiculously restrictive anti abortion laws which ban all abortions after 20 weeks except for a narrow exception for the life of the woman. In other words, you basically will need to wait until you're literally bleeding to death before a doctor can perform one (if you're carrying a dead fetus -- Sorry, Charlie! [or perhaps that should be Charlene] -- you'll have to keep carrying it).

At any rate, what I find interesting is that Brown was actually making a religious argument for abortion. Yes, there is one. It just doesn't happen to be, say, the Catholic or Baptist argument. Here's a transcript of what Brown said via Daily Kos:
Yesterday we heard from the Representative from Holland, speak about religious freedom. I'm Jewish. I keep kosher in my home. I have 2 sets of dishes--one for meat and one for dairy, and another 2 sets of dishes on top of that for Passover. Judaism believes that therapeutic abortions, namely abortions performed in order to preserve the life of the mother, are not only permissible, but mandatory. The stage of pregnancy does not matter. Wherever there's a question of the life of the mother, or that of the unborn child, Jewish law rules in favor of preserving the life of the mother. The status of the fetus as human life does not equal that of the mother.  
I have not asked you to adopt and adhere to my religious beliefs. Why are you asking me to adopt yours?  
And finally, Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but no means no!
Looks like some "religious freedoms" are more equal than others.

1 comment:

Lacey said...

Is this a movie about that woman anatomy? lesvianas com