Democracy Has Prevailed.

July 3, 2017

A Patriotic Duty, This Independence Day.

As far as I know, I still have a right to criticize the man who sits (when he's not off playing a little-handed round of golf) sits in the Oval Office.

It's my understanding that The First Amendment (remember that one?) guarantees this. In case you've forgotten or it's recently been put down the memory hole, it states:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
And if you need any further explanation, here's a snippet from a Supreme Court opinion for you to ponder:
But, above all else, the First Amendment means that government has no power to restrict expression because of its message, its ideas, its subject matter, or its content.
So as far as I know, I can still criticize Trump's policies, his record, or anything else that has anything to do with his time in office.

As far as I know,  I can still even protest the length of his tie or how he combs his hair or the fact that he's a ignorant, sexist, misogynist, thin-skinned, little little man.

I still have the right, right?

So this weekend, I find myself in NYC:


Fuck you, Donald Trump. Fuck you and your sexist, racist, ignorant, corrupt policies. They've done nothing but damage the country I've loved my entire life. Fuck you. You are what's wrong with America right now. You're not a symptom, you're the disease.

(And let me add a healthy "fuck you, too!" to the cowardly, opportunistic enablers in your party protecting your sorry ass in order to get their agenda passed.)

So this Independence Day, I gleefully exercise my First Amendment right to criticize the government by flipping off the sexist, racist, ignorant leader of the free world.