Democracy Has Prevailed.

October 12, 2017

Senator Toomey RESPONDS To Another Letter!

Yesterday, I received another response from Senator Pat Toomey.

It starts like this:
Thank you for contacting me about the recent events in Charlottesville, Virginia. I appreciate hearing from you.
Standard opening and it's about Charlottesville. Good as that narrows things considerably.

To this letter - my 24th to Senator Toomey.

In it, I ask this question:
Given your statement of the 14th, when you asserted your unambiguous disgust with white supremacists (et al) and Trump's departure from his statement and re-embrace of "blame both sides", has your support for Donald Trump, the leader of your political party and the man you voted for for president, wavered in any way?

And if not, why not?
Senator Toomey's "statement of the 14th" was this:
I am disgusted by white nationalists, white supremacists, and neo-Nazis and believe the racism and hate spewed by these groups have no place in our society.
Just so you know where we are in the chronology.

In his response to me, Toomey addresses the events in Charlottesville AND Trump's comments:
Like you , I am deeply troubled by the racist march in Charlottesville and terribly saddened by the tragic loss of life that occurred there. The racism, hate, and violence seen in Charlottesville are vile and unacceptable. I am disgusted by the white nationalists, white supremacists, and neo-Nazis, and believe that the racism and hate spewed by these groups have no place in our society.

As to President Trump's statements about the events in Charlottesville, I believe and have publicly stated that there is no moral equivalency between neo-Nazis, bigots, and white supremacists, and those who oppose them. Our country has no room for corrupt ideology or violent acts.
As commendable as all that is (and it is, Senator) I have to ask my audience: Did you notice anything missing? Anything? Anything at all?

How about this: He utterly failed to even get close to my question. Which was, let's remember, this:
Given [his responses to the events in Charlottesville] has your support for Donald Trump, the leader of your political party and the man you voted for for president, wavered in any way? And if not, why not?
Why didn't Pat Toomey answer the question? Either his Trump support has wavered or it has not because of Trump's wavering racism. Given all teh udder crazie wafting through the White House these days, don't we have a right to know?

I guess not.

There's an interesting footnote to this story. Whenever I get a Toomey response, I google the first sentence to see if he's already sent it to me (he doubled up once before, doncha know). What did I find this time?

This blogpost - it is word for word the same letter I received.

Welcome to my world, J.S. Brooks (I wonder if you knew that "Bach" means "Brook" in German.)

Toomey's letter in full:
Thank you for contacting me about the recent events in Charlottesville, Virginia. I appreciate hearing from you.

Like you, I am deeply troubled by the racist march in Charlottesville and terribly saddened by the tragic loss of life that occurred there. The racism, hate, and violence seen in Charlottesville are vile and unacceptable. I am disgusted by the white nationalists, white supremacists, and neo-Nazis, and believe that the racism and hate spewed by these groups have no place in our society.

As to President Trump's statements about the events in Charlottesville, I believe and have publicly stated that there is no moral equivalency between neo-Nazis, bigots, and white supremacists, and those who oppose them. Our country has no room for corrupt ideology or violent acts.

I hope that what occurred in Charlottesville will be an isolated incident. Moving forward, I pray that members of Congress will put politics aside, unequivocally condemn hate and bigotry, and find ways to work together to protect our shared American values of equality and justice for all.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please be assured I understand and appreciate hearing your concerns, and will continue monitoring the fallout from the recent events in Charlottesville. Do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Pat Toomey

U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is toomey in our out climate changes?