Democracy Has Prevailed.

September 8, 2018

Senator Toomey RESPONDS To Another Letter (kinda)

This past week I received (via the US Postal Service) not one but two letters from my Senator, Patrick Toomey.

Both are two pagers and one is dated August 23 and the other August 13.

I'll deal with the former first and the latter letter later - if only to subvert any subtext of a proper chronology and also because I like the conflicting alliterations above.

Ha.

Here's now Senator Toomey opens this letter:
Thank you for contacting me about the Trump Administration. I appreciate hearing from you.
As per usual. And as he says right there in writing that he appreciates hearing from me, I'll continue to exercise my right to communicate with my right-wing conservative elected official.

The opening of his next sentence should ping something in your brain.  Here it is:
Since President Donald Trump's inauguration, I have heard from a number of Pennsylvanians both in support of and opposition to the administration. In a state as large and diverse as ours...
Wait, haven't we seen this before?

Recently?

Why yes, yes we have - two months ago in July. I received that first letter in early July but it's dated June 15. It's doppelganger is dated two months and a week later.

Let's see what, if anything, has changed in those two months shall we?

Both letters are identical until the sixth paragraph of each. I'll bold/italicize/colorize the differences in each paragraph.

June 15:
For example, as someone who recognizes that tariffs are harmful taxes on American consumers, I have been critical of many of the President's trade actions. When some officials in the administration threatened to withdrawal unilaterally our country from NAFTA in order to pressure Congress into approving a protectionist NAFTA 2.0, I spoke up publicly in opposition. Unilateral executive withdrawal would amount to the president creating new law, which the President can no more do than he could repeal Obamacare by himself. I have strongly urged my colleagues to employ all legislative means necessary to blog such an action if it occurred.
August 23:
For example, as someone who recognizes that tariffs are harmful taxes on American consumers, I have been critical of many of the President's trade actions. When some officials in the administration threatened to unilaterally withdraw our country from NAFTA in order to pressure Congress into approving a protectionist NAFTA 2.0, I spoke up publicly in opposition. Unilateral executive withdrawal would amount to the president creating new law, which the President can no more do than he could repeal Obamacare by himself. I have strongly urged my colleagues to employ all legislative means necessary to blog such an action if it occurred.
This is not so much a change as it is a grammar correction. Kudos to the Toomey office for correcting a mistake that should not have been made in the first place.

Yea, kudos.

The concluding two paragraphs are exactly the same.

What is different between these to letters is the insertion of this paragraph between the sixth and the penultimate paragraphs:
I also find it troubling that President Trump has not condemned more forcefully Vladimir Putin's hostile actions against the United States and our allies, especially in regards to Russian meddling in the 2016 elections. I have said so publicly and continue to support legislative actions that will decisively push back against Russia.
On the one hand, kudos to Toomey for speaking out against Trump in any form at all. But I have to ask whether he is, in fact, giving Trump some cover with this "criticism." Take a look at the first sentence:
I also find it troubling that President Trump has not condemned more forcefully Vladimir Putin's hostile actions... [Emphasis added.]
Wait, wait, wait a goshdernminnut.  When has Trump ever condemned Putin's actions? Doesn't a condemnation have to be in place before someone can complain that it isn't forceful enough?

Jeff Glor of CBS in asked Trump in July:
GLOR: "You say you agree with U.S. intelligence that Russia meddled in the election in 2016."

TRUMP: "Yeah and I've said that before, Jeff. I have said that numerous times before, and I would say that is true, yeah."

GLOR: "But you haven't condemned Putin, specifically. Do you hold him personally responsible?"

TRUMP: "Well, I would, because he's in charge of the country. Just like I consider myself to be responsible for things that happen in this country. So certainly as the leader of a country you would have to hold him responsible, yes."
That's as close as we get to anything even resembling a condemnation from Trump, Senator. I am disappointed that you tried to call it one.

But, on the other hand, if you want to telegraph to your supporters that Trump has condemned Russia for meddling (even if he really hasn't) and that you want to add a criticism the condemnation wasn't forceful enough, then I guess that's one way to thread that particular needle.

Even if it's based on the flimsiest of flimsies.

But kudos for trying.

No comments: