Democracy Has Prevailed.

December 30, 2005

Shake-up at KDKA!

I just read this a few minutes ago.
Three of KDKA Radio's primary on-air hosts -- Mike Pintek, Paul Alexander and Mike Romigh -- have been let go in a staff shake-up.

The changes, the first phase of an extensive overhaul at the news/talk station, also included a pink slip for news reporter Kyle Anthony.
It's never good news to hear that someone's lost a job (any chance of slipping the next pink slip to Fred Honsberger?), but I am curious to see how this will change things over at KDKA.

I have to admit, I've never been much of a fan of Mike Romigh. There were many times when I'd cringe hearing him "debate" Fred Honsberger on Thursay afternoons. There was so much more he could have said to The Honzman (heck, he coulda just looked here) that I had to wonder whether his heart was really in the fight in the first place.

In any event, I wish all those guys well. I am sure they'll land on their feet.

But the REALLY interesting part of the article is tucked in the end:
One possibility for the 8 p.m. to midnight shift previously held by Mr. Romigh is John McIntire. Mr. Clark said that if Mr. McIntire, who hosts a weekly Saturday night show on KDKA, was interested in the slot, "we would consider him, but no final decision has been made."
YES, YES, YES!

HIRE McINTIRE!

(I know they already employ John McIntire for the Saturday 7-12 slot. So the cry to "hire McIntire" is a bit redundant. It rhymes so well, though. Doncha think??)

Here's the link to the KDKARadio contact page. If you want to hear a real lefty voice on the air in Pittsburgh, contact KDKA and tell them the best thing they could do for the 8-12 slot would be to HIRE MCINTIRE.

Let us know what they say. I'll try to keep everyone posted on whatever I know.

David

PS

IMPEACH

2 comments:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

i sent an e-mail. i hope they hire him and give him a great time slot! i've missed his tv show!

Anonymous said...

Still on the impeach kick, huh? You might as well give it up. You've lost the argument.

Moving *cough* forward, I believe KDKA is in financial distress thanks to the new competition on the FM side, as well as satellite radio. AM just doesn't cut it anymore. Who wants to listen to static, crackling, and fading anyway?

That being said, I give the AM radio market another 10-15 years tops, and then that's it. FM radio will follow suit not long after AM radio goes the way of the Democrats winning another Presidential election. ;)