Democracy Has Prevailed.

April 3, 2006

I told you so...

Casey's lead slips from doube digits to single

The latest Zogby/WSJ poll still has Bob "I Put My Own Self to Sleep When I Speak" Casey ahead of Santorum. However, he's gone from a double digit lead to only 8 points. Casey's lead has grown progressively smaller as the race goes on.

Could it be that the BLUE STATE of PA electorate is finally discovering Bob "The State Owns Your Uterus" Casey's positions on crucial issues (despite Bob's best efforts to keep them in the dark) and doesn't like what it sees? (And, it ain't just abortion.)

Bob Casey in His Own Words:

On Stem Cell Research:
“I support the current federal policy on embryonic stem cell research and would oppose the Castle bill to expand federal support of embryonic stem cell research.”

On the Influence of Religion on His Role as a Public Official:
“My Catholic faith and the values reflected in that faith have always had a profound impact on me as a person and as a public official. I try to live up to the teachings of my faith in my personal life and in my public life. “

On Abortion Rights:
“As a pro-life Democrat, I have a different position on abortion than many national elected officials and that’s why an organization like NARAL won’t support me in the campaign.”

“Most Americans people recognize [the right to privacy] to some degree or another, and I think that some privacy-related court decisions… are correct. But let me add that I do draw a line. The right to privacy does not trump the right of the unborn.” "You can’t say you have a position I have and not believe that [Roe v Wade should be overturned].” "You can't have it both ways and say, 'I am pro-choice but,' or 'I am pro-life but."

Lancaster County Action Questionnaire asked whether Casey supported a woman's 'right to abortion. He responded 'Oppose.'

On Equal Rights for Gays:
“I don’t support gay marriage, but I also don’t support a constitutional amendment banning it. That would be tremendously divisive. However, I do support same sex unions that would give gay couples all the rights, privileges and protections of marriage.”

But he responded differently to a Questionnaire that asked: What is your position on government requiring that benefits be provided to same sex partners? Casey’s response: “Oppose”

Questionnaire: What is your position on legislation allowing homosexuals to adopt children? Casey’s response: “Oppose”

On the Iraq War:
“I don’t think we were intentionally mislead [in the runup to the war in Iraq].”

“I don’t think you can, as a matter of policy, articulate a long-term strategy if you don’t have the facts to make that determination.”

"Once [Iraq] was underway, like a lot of Americans, I was supportive of what our troops were trying to do there, based on what we were told by our government. We found out later the intelligence was, at best, faulty and, at worst, misleading. We can learn a lot of lessons from that, but the key thing now is to finish the job."

“Some people think that pulling out is a good idea and a timeline is a good idea -- I don't agree with that.”

On Congressional Intervention in the Terry Schiavo Case:
"I think you should err on the side of life. I think some kind of congressional review was appropriate.”

On Display of The Ten Commandments in Government Buildings:
"I don't oppose [such displays]. I do think politicians spend a lot more time talking about that question than trying to live the 10 Comandments. No matter what your religious beliefs, there are some universal truths in those commandments that we all ought to live by."

On the Death Penalty:
Questionnaire: What is your position on repealing the death penalty in Pennsylvania? Casey’s Answer: “Oppose”

“I believe that the death penalty is an appropriate punishment for those who have committed heinous crimes.”

On Gun Control:
"I've been a strong supporter of the second amendment, the right to bear arms. That's evidenced not just by what I've said but the support I've gotten over the last decade from sportsmen's groups, including the NRA."

“I don't think [the people of Pennsylvania] want battles to take place on a whole list of laws and regulations that impact gun owners and the right to bear arms."

"Casey is not only not with us on this stuff, but he's a little bit hostile," said Peter Hamm of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

On the Patriot Act:
"The agreement on the PATRIOT Act reauthorization is a victory in the war on terror and a triumph of bipartisanship. This agreement should clear the way for the renewal of this vital law and will continue to give law enforcement the tools that they need to target terrorists and prevent another terrorist attack. We cannot let the PATRIOT Act expire and we cannot give the terrorists an opening to plan another attack. I am pleased that the reauthorization addressed some of the issues regarding the protection of the rights of Americans.”

On the Nomination of Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court:
"...the arguments against Judge Alito do not rise to the level that would require a vote denying him a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court."

On Warrantless NSA Wiretaps:
"I think we should be making sure we give law enforcement and federal agents the tools they need to fight terrorism."

And on their legality: "Well, that is a judgment that lawyers are going to make," said Casey, a lawyer.


Told you so!


www.chuck2006.com

No comments: