Democracy Has Prevailed.

November 14, 2007

No Contest

"Are you pleading to these charges because the Commonwealth's evidence, if believed, would be sufficient to convict you?" the judge asked.

Ms. Carlisle paused.

Her lawyer Patrick Thomassey leaned in and mumbled, "Yes, sir."

"Yes, sir," she said.
I heard about former Pittsburgh City Councilwomen Twanda Carlisle's plea and resignation yesterday but didn't have a chance to blog on it until now.

While I may have been snarky in past posts on the subject, I can't help but feel some sadness for Carlisle, but much more for our City.

We can at least be thankful that Carlisle did not receive an endorsement in the primary vote in May and that there will be a new Councilor (Rev. Ricky Burgess) in District 9 in January (no need for a special election).

The Post-Gazette has an interesting retrospective on Carlisle's career here which speaks to her seemingly ever growing love of the perks of office, but this paragraph stands out for me:
In January 2002, Democratic Committee members from the city's northeastern corner met to pick their nominee to replace Ms. McDonald Roberts. They deadlocked between Ms. Carlisle and Louis "Hop" Kendrick. A coin flip ensued, Ms. Carlisle called heads, and she became the prohibitive favorite to win the seat, which she did.
Says a lot about what's wrong with City Government, no?

Also, I find this passage disturbing:
In a way, she adopted the Robin Hood ethos of Mr. Darkins. From 2002 through 2006, she distributed some $177,892 in city discretionary funds to interests ranging from churches and youth groups to "consultants," including some with criminal histories.

And, that brings us back round to then Council President, now Mayor, Luke Ravenstahl's "Reform Lite" (as called by the P-G).

Pittsburgh City Council had the opportunity to pass real reform on Council spending and end the walking around money (WAMs), but chose not to -- with the exception of Bill Peduto and Doug Shields. They had tried to amend Ravenstahl's bill and provide more accountably and transparency in council spending but were soundly (and at times loudly) defeated.

While Twanda Carlisle surely stole large from taxpayers, with WAMs, we have enshrined petty theft.
.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Ms. Carlisle for reinforcing every stereotype:

"Well, I done got this city job and we gots some money to spend, so me and my mama gonna get some nice coats outta this."

Yeccch.

Anonymous said...

I suppose that if I had the kind of class that it takes to post a comment like the one above, I'd wan't to stay anonymous, too.

Anonymous said...

No, better to hide behind a jackass name like Shitrock, right, idiot?

Maria said...

Ah, geez! Do I delete the first comment or leave it up as a monument to stupidity and racism?

Jonathan Potts said...

Regarding the coin toss, consider that in Pennsylvania, in the event of an election that results in a tie, the result is determined by having the candidates draw lots.

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you just call her a nigger, Anon. We all know that's what you meant.

BTW, my handle is one that I was given by two of your bigotted gumbahs, and I wear it proudly. You could easily find my real name through the handle, but you won't, being both lazy and shiftless. Notice the "f" in that last word.

Anonymous said...

i request that the n word post be removed. It is without question, offensive. It is needless. The first one is at least founded in satire although base as it is.

None the less, the subject will now and should focus on the Councilman-elec, the Rev. Ricky Burgess.

tomorrow anyone?

Anonymous said...

Pardon me for offending an anonymous blogger who doesn't have the mental capacity to understand whom I am trying to offend (hint: it's not blacks) and who doesn't get capitalization, spelling, nor syntax.

Anonymous said...

Go away, shitrock, you had your say.

Anonymous said...

And I shall continue to have my say, thank you very much. I think I will not go away, sir, and please be so kind as to kiss your own anonymous ass.