First off how many "birthers" are there?
The answer is that 62% of Americans think Obama was born here, while 24% think he was not and 14% are unsure.So 38% are ignorant of the fact that Obama was born in the US.
PPP breaks down that 38% into:
10% of the country thinks that he was born in Indonesia, 7% think he was born in Kenya, and 1% think he was born in the Philippines.How stupid are these people?
That leaves 20%, which includes at least some people who correctly believe that Obama was born in Hawaii, but who don't consider Hawaii to be part of the United States. You read that right- 6% of poll respondents think that Hawaii is not part of the country and 4% are unsure.
The full results are here.
Digging deeper into the crosstabs. Looking at both data-sets (Was Obama born in the US and the education of the person answering the question we see that;
- Of those with some post-graduate education, 70% said YES while 30% said NO or WEREN'T SURE (split 19/11).
- Of those with a bachelor's degree, 66% said YES and 34% said NO or WEREN'T SURE (split 22/12).
- Of those with a some college, 56% said YES and 45% said NO or WEREN'T SURE (split 31/14).
- Of those who graduated high school, 49% said YES and 50% said NO or WEREN'T SURE (split 28/22).
- Of those who didn't graduate High School, 48% said YES while 52% said NO or WEREN'T SURE (split 33/19).