Case in point: from Crooks and Liars. While denouncing all hate-speech (which is a good thing) Bill O'Reilly added:
The press is obviously pumping up inappropriate things that happen on the right and pretty much ignoring hateful things on the left. Bernie Goldberg and I established that on Monday.To which C&L commented:
Tell you what, Bill and Laura. Come and talk to us again about how nasty and wrong hateful talk from the left is when:
Our own Reg Henry treads upon similar ground today:
- A liberal walks into a church and opens fire on the congregation because they're all a bunch of conservatives and he wants to kill as many right-wingers as he can.
- A liberal walks into another church and shoots a doctor in the head.
- A liberal shoots three police officers who come to his door because he fears the president is going to take his guns away.
- A liberal walks into the Holocaust Museum and shoots a guard because he hates Jews and believes it's time to start a race war.
- A liberal walks into the Pentagon and opens fire because he believes the government is plotting against its citizens.
- A pack of gun-loving liberals forms a plot to kill law-enforcement officers and start a revolution.
On the circle of political opinion, the far left and the far right sit uncomfortably next to each other and both are certifiably nuts. But the reality is that the far left has been a small sliver for the past 30 years while the far right is such a large cohort that it now represents mainstream opinion in the Republican Party. Really.Really.