Democracy Has Prevailed.

February 13, 2018

My FORTY-EIGHTH Open Letter To Senator Pat Toomey

I'll be dropping this letter to Senator Pat Toomey in the mail today:
Dear Senator Toomey:

It's me, again. Your constituent who also writes for the local Pittsburgh-based political blog, "2 Political Junkies."

I'd like to ask you this week about White House security clearances.

CNN is reporting that "Thirty to 40 White House officials and administration political appointees are still operating without full security clearances" - including Jared Kushner, Donald Trump's son-in-law and Rob Porter, who recently resigned under serious allegations of spousal abuse. Reportedly that abuse was one of the obstacles keeping Porter from gaining full security access. It's also been reported that the White House knew about the allegations for some time.

So far Senator you've yet to comment on any security concerns you might have about this situation. You're part of the legislative oversight of the Executive branch (the "checks and balances" written into the Constitution), so let me ask you: Is it acceptable? If so, why? If not, why haven't you said anything about it?

One last question, Senator. If this were a Democratic administration in the White House, do you think you and your Republican colleagues would be similarly silent about the high level lack of security clearances?

I await your response.
And I will be posting whatever response I get from him or his office.

Follow-up:

No comments: