Democracy Has Prevailed.

February 20, 2018

My FORTY-NINTH Open Letter To Senator Pat Toomey

I'll be dropping this letter to Senator Pat Toomey in the mail today:
Dear Senator Toomey:

It's me, again. Your constituent who also writes for the local Pittsburgh-based political blog, "2 Political Junkies."

In light of the recent indictments handed down by Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller detailing the plans by Russia to interfere with the 2016 election, I'd like to ask you about H.R. 3364 - the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act.

The bill (now law) provides for sanctions against Russia in response, in part, to that country's interference in the 2016 presidential election. If you had any question about the interference, I'd refer you to Mueller's indictments.

Here's the thing, Senator. Congress voted for this legislation with numbers so big it's veto proof. And then Donald Trump signed it. It is the law of the land.

And yet Trump has so far refused to implement that law.

The Constitution clearly states that the President must "take care that the laws be faithfully executed."

So here's my question: Russia meddled with the election that brought Trump to power. Congress passed legislation sanctioning them for that meddling and now Trump won't execute that legislation faithfully. What are you going to do about it? Doing nothing lets him get away with flaunting the Constitution. So what are you doing about it? Which side are you on? Trump's or the Constitution's?

I await your response.
And I will be posting whatever response I get from him or his office.

Follow-up:

No comments: