Dear Senator Toomey:And I will be posting whatever response I get from him or his office.
It's me, again. Your constituent who also writes for the local Pittsburgh-based political blog, "2 Political Junkies."
This week's line of questioning will have to be about Jared Kushner, presidential son-in-law and presidential senior advisor.
As I am sure you probably already know, the Department of Homeland Security and the Director of National Intelligence issued a joint statement back in October, 2016 saying that "The U.S. Intelligence Community (USIC) is confident that the Russian Government directed the recent compromises of e-mails from US persons and institutions, including from US political organizations."
And last month, the New York Times reported that Jared Kushner failed to disclose meetings with Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyak in his request for a top-secret security clearance, even though he was required to do so.
And then this past week, the Washington Post reported that Kushner and Kislyak discussed the possibility of setting up a secret line of communication between the Trump transition team and the Kremlin - a move that would have put those communications out of reach of the same US Intelligence services that reported that the Russian Government directed the hacking of those emails in the first place.
In fact the only reason to do that would be to hide that line of communication from the US Intelligence and law enforcement communities.
This threat to our nation's security concerns me a great deal.
So my question: Does it concern you that a Senior Advisor to the President Of The United States both failed to disclose his meetings with the Russian Ambassador and sought a secret back channel to the Kremlin? If so, what are you doing about it, and if not, why the heck not?
I await your response.
- First Letter - The Senator's response
- Second Letter - No response so far - (well, this one comes close)
- Third Letter - No response so far
- Fourth Letter - No response so far
- Fifth Letter - No response so far
- Sixth Letter - No response so far
- Seventh Letter - The Senator's response
- Eighth Letter - No response so far
- Ninth Letter - The Senator's response
- Tenth Letter - No response so far
- Eleventh Letter - No response so far
- Twelfth Letter - No response so far
- Thirteenth Letter - No response so far
- Fourteenth Letter - No reponse so far