Dear Senator Toomey:And I will be posting whatever response I get from him or his office.
It's me, again - the constituent who writes for the local Pittsburgh-based political blog, "2 Political Junkies."
I need to ask you about Donald Trump's decision to violate the JCPOA (a.k.a "The Iran Deal"). You posted on your website that you support the decision to withdraw (ie to violate) the agreement adding that the agreement "pav[ed] the way for Iran to develop nuclear weapons in a few short years" and "provided immediate sanctions relief and $100 billion" to Iran.
Let me start about the money. Isn't it true that the $100 billion in question is actually money from the sale of Iranian oil that the US Treasury had frozen in banks around the world? (Yes, it is.) And so aren't you (at the very least) misleading the public by using the verb "provided" rather than the more correct "returned"? It is their money, is it not? The verb "provided" seems to imply that the money was coming from someplace other than Iran itself.
And now the agreement itself. You said that the agreement paved the way for Iran to develop nukes in a few short years. But isn't it far more accurate to say that it stopped Iran from developing those weapons that quickly? It reduced Iran's capability of producing weapons grade uranium, reduced the number of advanced centrifuges and so on.
But now with those controls off, now Iran is capable of creating a nuclear weapon much more quickly, isn't that true?
So here's my question: How have you made the world safer? No, wait. I'll answer that one for you: You haven't.
But if you can comment on why you're misleading your voters about The Iran Deal, that'll be great. THANKS.
I await your response.
UPDATE: The Senator has responded to this letter.
- Round-up Volume 1
- Round-up Volume 2
- Round-up Volume 3
- Round-up Volume 4
- Forty-eighth letter - no response so far
- Forty-ninth letter - no response so far
- Fiftieth letter - Toomey responded here
- Fifty-first letter - no response so far
- Fifty-second letter - no response so far
- Fifty-third letter - Toomey responded here
- Fifty-forth letter - no response so far
- Fifty-fifth letter - no response so far
- Fifty-sixth letter - no response so far
- Fifty-seventh letter - no response so far
- Fifty-eighth letter - no response so far
- Fifty-ninth letter - no response so far
- Sixtieth letter - no response so far