Democracy Has Prevailed.

July 16, 2019

My HUNDRED AND SEVENTEENTH Open Letter To Senator Pat Toomey

I'll be dropping this letter to Senator Pat Toomey in the mail today:
Dear Senator Toomey:

It's me, again - the constituent who writes for the local Pittsburgh-based political blog, "2 Political Junkies."

Senator, we need to talk about Donald Trump's racist tweets attacking four members of the House of Representatives - all women of color.

First let me commend you for your statement, release yesterday, pointing out that "[t]hree of the four were born in America and the citizenship of all four is as valid as" yours and that it was "wrong" for Trump to suggest they "go back to where they came from." You argue that "We should defeat their ideas on the merits, not on the basis of their ancestry."

That in itself is more than the vast majority of members of your own party have done. However close you got to using the "r" word, you didn't exactly point out (much less denounce) the racism of telling four non-white women to "go back to where they came from" did you?

But in a sea of otherwise silent Republican complicity in the face of Trump's racism, it's something. So here's my question: Now that you've put at least some amount of distance between you and the leader of your party, when can we expect you to denounce Trump's treatment of children in those detention centers on the southern border? It's still going on, you know.

Thank you and I await your response.
And I will be posting whatever response I get from him or his office.


Follow-up:

No comments: